What is an electric bike?
Electric bikes, e-bikes, pedelecs or EAPCs (electrically assisted pedal cycles) are designed to give
the rider some extra power assistance while riding, with the rider doing half the job and a motor doing
the rest. This can be a huge benefit for different riders with a variety of needs.
Although you’re still peddling and getting the exercise, not doing all the work can offer the chance to enjoy a cycle ride without needing to push the body too hard. This is particularly ideal for people recovering from injuries or ongoing health issues.
Electric delivery bikes offer the extra power assistance e-bikes give, which means they can take a little bit of extra weight off. This makes them great for delivery services as they’re still nimble enough to get around traffic to get the goods there on time.
Do you need insurance for an electric bike
There is no legal requirement to have insurance in the UK, except you will need insurance for your electric bike in Northern Ireland. But while it’s not essential for the rest of the UK, e-bike insurance is still advisable. The average cost of an electric bike can be up to around £2000. But it’s not all about protecting the value of the bike. We can also protect you for personal accident and personal liability. Find out more and get a quote now.
Do you need an electric bike licence?
As with insurance, and aside from Northern Ireland, there’s no need to license your e-bike for it to be legal and roadworthy, nor does it need to be insured. However, there are other requirements that are needed under UK law:
- Riders must be over the age of 14
- There must be pedals that propel the bike
- The maximum power output must not exceed 250 watts
- The electric motor cannot assist pedalling over 15.5 mph
- Must display either the power output or the manufacturer of the motor
- Must display the battery’s voltage or the maximum speed of the bike
Read more on how our electric cycle insurance policy can cover you and your e-bike.
forms of payment:
WHAT DO WE OFFER
- PedalSure includes Sportive as standard
- 30/60 days Overseas Use which inc Air-Transit
- We cover your Bike and Accessories in Transition
- Option for Personal Cover up to £50k
- Include up to 5 Bikes
- 50% Multi-Bike Discount
How We Compare on Price
PedalSure offers 50% Multi-Bike DiscountOn Bike(s) two and three (review 24th September 2019)
Incl. £250 Accessories cover, Bike Hire replacement, Excess £75, 1million Liability, 30 days travel For Theft & Accidental Damage for £2,000 Cannondale and £1,800 Whyte
- PedalSure Bicycle Insurance £205.81 p/a
- Yellow Jersey £236.18 p/a
- Bikmo Bicycle Insurance £248.28 p/a
- Assetsure Bicycle Insurance £297.20 p/a